Having a car brings a lot of benefits. You don’t have to deal with the stress associated with public transportation and you can save money when you need to travel with your friends or family. But when you have a car, you need a place to keep it safe from the elements. That’s where the carport comes in.
Many carport builders in Brisbane and other cities in Australia are using a variety of design inspirations to satisfy their customers. Here are some of them:
- The Contemporary Skillion: This is a cost-effective solution to exude simplicity and beauty in your property. This carport design is widely used for commercial and hospitality industries. To have a remarkable look and feel for your carport, integrating porcelain tiles on the surface is ideal, matching the scattered light effect of polycarbonate roofing.
- The Striking Flyover: If you have a larger vehicle such as a camping bus, the flyover type of carport has an adequate height to properly house it. Those who have a boat find this carport design extremely useful as well. To fully protect your vehicle, adding insulating panels in the roof is beneficial.
- The Everlasting Gable: Creating end walls with a triangular extension — gable roofing — for your carport is a traditional roof style that is still being admired by most property owners. Why? It’s more natural to build and provides excellent water drainage, as well as fewer leaks. Aside from having adequate ventilation, it provides you with extra space for an attic or vaulted ceilings.
Why Do You Need a Carport?
- The carport is the best overhead protection from harsh elements — sun, hail, wind, and rain — when you unload your vehicle.
- If you want to save money, building a carport is less costly than altering your home to have an enclosed garage.
- The construction materials are easy to find on the market. You can use steel or wood for the frames and galvanised steel for the roofing.
- It doesn’t require you to construct expensive flooring. Most carport owners are satisfied with a carport surface with gravel, pavers, or cement.
- Having an enclosed garage may have an adverse effect on the overall aesthetics of your property. On the other hand, you can make your carport an extension of your home’s design. Colour bond sheeting would match the theme of your property.
- Depending on what you prefer, you can make your carport freestanding or attached to your existing home.
- If you love your vehicle so much and you need additional security, you can find a lockable door and walls; they can easily be integrated into your carport.
Do You Need Permit to Build Carport in Brisbane?
In Brisbane, Australia, whether you plan to build an enclosed garage or freestanding carport, a planning approval from the Council is required. Here are some concerns that require development approval from the Council:
- If your carport will be situated within the street setback space
- If your carport will have distinct material or finish from your existing property
- The obstacle is less than 1 metre from a side or rear lot limitation
- If your carport will occupy more than 50% of your property area
A building certifier can help you assess your area adequately. With the help of professionals, you can ensure that your carport meets the standards. Some property owners maximise the benefits of their carports by using it as extra space for entertainment, especially if they don’t want their indoors to be overcrowded. Just decorate your carport the way you want and you can have an amazing space for your friends and loved ones to celebrate a meaningful occasion.
Your vehicle is a valuable asset. Having a carport in your property will bring you peace of mind and convenience.